Girls Friendly Society (GFS)
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
GFS is looking for women with a passion for empowering girls. We offer sessions which provide a space for girls and young women to meet new friends in a relaxed, girls-only environment and – most importantly – to have fun!
You don’t need to have experience in working with children to join us, just an enthusiasm for improving the lives of girls and young women.
Being an Activity Leader is a hands on role, helping the group leader deliver fun and inspiring activities, as well as helping with group planning, admin and social media. You’ll be a role model for the girls and young women in your group and get the chance to help build their confidence. This role requires around 3-4 hours each week for commitment of around a year.
Youth Work,Campaigning & Lobbying,Sport & Coaching,Advice, Information & Support,Art & Design,Befriending, Buddying & Mentoring,Community Work,General and Helping
Art & Craft,Organising & Planning,Reading & Writing
• Engaging with and listening to girls and young women weekly, to make them feel supported, valued and inspired to try new things.
• Treating every girl with respect and kindness, helping her to feel proud of who she is.
• Helping run activities for the girls, organising any materials needed for the sessions and helping with set up, tidy up and refreshments
• Supporting and contributing to termly planning team meetings to create a programme of activities alongside the Group Leader/Coordinator. We’ll also provide support through themed session plans and step-by-step activity guides on the GFS website.
• Leading on activities as agreed with the volunteer team
• Sharing ideas and feedback given by the girls to the Group Leader/Coordinator to help create a truly girl-led termly programme.
• Creating great relationships with girls’ parents and share any issues or feedback that they raise, with your Group Leader/Coordinator.
• Helping with First Aid or Food Hygiene in the group as needed
• Posting photos of activities on the group’s facebook page
• Keeping girls safe by informing your GFS Staff contact about any issues or concerns for girls’ wellbeing and report safeguarding concerns that you, or any other volunteers, have as soon as possible.
• Taking the online register and collecting subs from the girls.
• Recording and monitoring income and expenses you incur in relation to the group.
• Treating every girl, parent, volunteer and task within the GFS values of being girl-focused, brave, feminist, ambitious, inclusive and fun.
• Understanding GFS policy and procedures and follow them, especially safeguarding
• Happy to be a supportive member of the volunteer team, helping out wherever needed and communicating with the Group Leader/Coordinator and fellow volunteers about availability
• A passion for building the confidence of girls and young women through fun and inspiring activities
• Ideas for activities to run with girls or a willingness to learn about how to plan and run activities
• Willing to take a training course in First Aid or Food Hygiene
• Help to report and safeguarding or wellbeing concerns to GFS staff as soon as possible
• Able to work with and within diverse communities
Redmond Community Centre, Kayani Ave, Woodberry Down, London N4 2HF
Please register your interest to apply or find out more!