Food Growing Volunteer (Older People)
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
Calling all green-fingered gardeners! We're looking for volunteers to provide practical advice and support about growing food to a group of older people who live in a sheltered housing scheme. Through group workshops and individual support built upon positive, non-judgmental relationships, you can have our older residents digging for victory!
We would like our volunteers to work with residents to set up a Gardening Club, so that they can enjoy the fruits of their labour long into the future. You will also have more opportunities to hone your organising and networking skills by working with the older people taking part and external partners to ensure the food growing scheme is sustainable.
We provide supervision, a full induction and in-house or external training to support you in your role, as well as travel and lunch expenses
Different location and sheltered housing schemes in Camden, our main office is: 1-7 Corsica Street, Islington, London
Bus: 4, 19, 43, 393, 271, 263
Tube: Highbury & Islington (Victoria line)
Overground: Highbury & Islington
No experience or qualifications necessary, just reliability and enthusiasm! Some teaching/training experience is desirable although not required. Great communication skills.
1. The opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of vulnerable people
2. Getting involved in your community and making a worthwhile contribution
3. The chance to develop skills and gain experience
4. Gain full induction, training and regular 1:1 supervision
5. Flexibility around your existing commitments (e.g. study, work, childcare etc.) and the opportunity to gain experience in different roles in the organisation
6. A professional reference
7. Participation in staff team meetings and volunteer peer support groups where your feedback and ideas about the development of our services are listened to and valued
8. Reasonable out-of-pocket expenses (we all felt that this should be at the bottom of the list).