We are looking for an able and enthusiastic Treasurer to join our active Board of Trustees and oversee and provide financial guidance to this great independent charity that tackles discriminiation and promotes equality and diversity.
Camden LGBT Forum
The role of the Camden LGBT Forum is to promote equality and diversity by the elimination of discrimination in relation to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people living in or working in Camden and, where appropriate, neighbouring boroughs and London, for the benefit of the public.
The Camden LGBT Forum is run by LGBT people for LGBT people. We’re here to make sure that the rights and interests of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people living or working in Camden are represented. That’s the bottom line. That’s the reason we’re here.
• Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
• Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial management procedures are in place.
• Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
• Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
• With other Trustees provide strategic direction and decision making for the organisation
• Liaise with relevant staff, the Board, and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
• Make fellow Board members aware of their financial obligations and take the lead in interpreting financial data to them.
• Present the financial position at Board meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc produced by bookkeeper)
• Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
• Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, i.e.:
o Cheque signatories
o Purchasing limits
o Purchasing systems
o Petty cash/ float
o Salary payments
o PAYE and NI payments
o Others as appropriate
• Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies
• Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner
• Offer hands on professional advice and assistance
• Inform board changes to financial legislation and it impacts on the organisation well in advance of the change
• Produce financial parts of Trustee Report for audit/independent examination to be submitted to Charities Commission and Companies House
• Make representations (lead spokesperson) to 3rd parties when called upon to do so (i.e. responding in person/phone/email in event of a complex accounts query)
• Identify financial risks and control actions to be incorporated into the Governance Risk Assessment as prepared by the Chair
• Meet with the Governance Officer (financial lead) monthly to sign off and check accounting records (this does not have to take place at Camden LGBT Forum office)
• Monitor the Finance Policy and revise it and make adjustments and changes annually where necessary (feedback to the Board)
• Monitor the Fundraiser performance and fund raising Strategy (give input)
• Attend Board meetings regularly and give input
• Monitor the performance of the Governance Officer to ensure corporate risks as they relate to finance are actioned e.g. staff removed from pension scheme, bank mandates and signatories up to date. Take action in the absence of / on behalf of the Governance Officer / the charity when required
• Process and make bank transactions in the absence of / on behalf of the Governance Officer / the charity when required
• Chartered Accountant Essential
• Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
• Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
• Good financial analysis skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly
Camden / Islington resident is desirable
• Declare themselves to be ‘fit and proper’ to oversee financial management e.g. annual declaration not bankrupt, prosecutions etc.
• Undergo a Disclosure and Barring Check (fees to be paid for by Camden LGBT Forum)
Time Commitment Required
• Attend Trustee meetings held every month, usually held [on 1st Wednesday of the month starting at 7pm and last about 1-2hrs]
• Provide advice/support to Governance Officer (via email/telephone and occasionally face to face)
• Attending Strategic Events e.g. Opening and Closing Night History Month Events