Be a Make it! Youth Mentor in Camden
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
Make it! is a mentoring project run by charity Toynbee Hall for Year 8 pupils aged 12-13 years old in East London. We work with secondary schools to identify young people who would benefit from a consistent and supportive relationship with an adult.
Our project consists of three elements: mentoring, group work, and community learning.
How does it work?
• Volunteers commit to mentoring 1 or 2 students who they see at a mutually agreeable time.
• Mentoring always takes place during school time, between 8.50am and 2.30pm. Within these hours you can choose to mentor at any time.
• All volunteers take part in an accredited training program which will cover mentoring techniques, child protection and safeguarding.
• We use exciting mentoring resources which are updated annually. Your training will cover how to use these resources.
• Supervision session are regular and designed to support you. Sessions will take the form of one-to-one sessions with the project coordinator as well as group meetups to discuss your progress.
We work in schools in Camden, Lambeth, Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Newham and Lewisham. You will be assigned to a school depending on your location.
To find out more send us an email to arrange an informal chat.
We are looking for consistent individuals who are able to commit to the full length of the project as early dropouts can adversely affect your mentee.
If you feel that you could benefit from working with young people we want to hear from you!
What’s in it for me?
• We believe that mentoring should be a two way process where mentors have as much to learn as mentees. Past volunteers have said their experience improved their confidence and relationships at work.
• An opportunity to meet adults and children from different walks of life.
• The training you receive is accredited and equivalent to a GCSE.
• You will gain experience of working with young people in an education environment.
• Trips are not only for the young people on make it! we appreciate our mentors’ hard work and take every opportunity to celebrate them! Past volunteer celebration nights have included ping pong, bowling, escape room games, and mini golf. We also eat a lot of pizza….
18 and over,18-25
Counselling,Youth Work,Support Work,Befriending, Buddying & Mentoring,Community Work
We welcome and/or have the resources to support: