The Higgins Art Gallery & Museum
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
The Higgins Bedford is a Bedford Borough Council cultural service that celebrates the inspiring stories of local people, encourages a sense of place for Bedford and the surrounding area, and showcases outstanding and varied collections. We are a family friendly museum and art gallery that engages and inspires children and young people and we work with pupils and students in formal education; from early years, across all key stages, to students in higher and further education; and home education groups. We also provide informal learning opportunities for children and people of all ages including family groups; older children attending regular archaeology workshops and groups of people with special needs.
Learning Volunteers work in close partnership with the Learning and Outreach Officer and we strive to encourage and develop their strengths and interests, as well as train and give new life-long learning experiences.
Volunteers support delivery of ‘out of classroom experiences' to school groups; holiday activities and other learning opportunities. We work with our volunteers individually to provide an experience which suits both the volunteer and The Higgins Bedford and creates valuable and memorable learning for our visitors.
· Assist in preparing education studios/gallery space prior to session and clearing up at end
· Lead history or art workshops for school groups/family holiday activities or support session leaders
· Manage and ensure the safe use of museum resources, including artefacts and replicas.
· Carry out minor admin tasks
· Create learning resources for schools
· Guide groups during self-led visits
· Offer short talks/tours to students
· Represent the Learning Team at local forums, museum groups, meetings and training
· Support training for other volunteers, teaching students and work experience students
The Higgins Bedford,
Art & Craft,Creative & Design,Managing People
An enthusiasm for learning in a range of settings and passion for the collections and
exhibitions at The Higgins Bedford
· Excellent communication skills
· Enthusiastic and able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds
· Good interpersonal skills – welcoming, friendly
· Positive, encouraging, patient, sensitive/ responsive to people’s needs
· Practical, organised, resourceful, adaptable
· A willingness to learn and take on new challenges
Gain skills in teaching and working with young people, develop inter-personal and communication skills, improve confidence, training opportunities, shop discount and other benefits and be part of a award winning friendly, volunteering team,
Art & Design,Teaching & Training,Events & Stewarding,General & Helping
We welcome and/or have the resources to support: